- ICE Reading Room
- Migration Policy Institute
- National Conference of State Legislatures Immigrant Policy Project
- Pew Hispanic Center
- Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse
- U.S. Census 2010
- Deportation Nation
- Detention Watch Network
- Immigration Policy Center
- National Day Laborer Organizing Network
- National Immigration Forum
- National Immigration Law Center
This list is intended to be a starting place for research and advocacy. There are many reports not listed here that may be relevant to your work.
• The Border Network for Human Rights, “Texas Can Do Better: Lessons from the Reform Immigration for Texas Alliance’s successful campaign to stop the Arizona-style anti-immigration agenda in Texas,” August 2011. Read the article >>
• The Texas Criminal Justice Coalition, “Becoming an Advocate During Texas’ State Legislative Session: A Beginner’s Guide to Transforming Your Idea into Law in Texas,” 2010.
• MALDEF, “Anti-Immigrant State Legislative and Ordinances Toolkit,” MALDEF.
• Laura Martin and Rebecca Bernhardt, “Operation Border Star: Wasted Millions and Missed Opportunities,” ACLU of Texas, March 16, 2009. Read the article >>
State Immigration Legislation
• National Council of La Raza and The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, “Not in Our State: What Community-Based Organizations Can Do To Combat S.B. 1070 Copycat Legislation: Tool Kit for Advocates,” 2011. Read the article >>
• The Perryman Group, “An Essential Resource: An Analysis of the Economic Impact of Undocumented Workers on Business Activity in the US with Estimated Effects by State and by Industry,” April, 2008. Read the article »
• Heidi Shierholz, “Immigration and Wages: Methodological Advancements Confirm Modest Gains for Native Born Workers,” Economic Policy, February 4, 2010. Read the article >>
• Juliana Barbassa, “Immigration Crackdown Worries Employers,” Washington Post, August 10, 2007. Read the article >>
• Jeremy Schwartz, “Austin Beginning to Compete with Other Texas Cities for Wealthy Immigrants from Mexico,” Austin-American Statesman, June 6, 2011. Read the article >>
• Mark Stevenson, “Study: 100,000 Hispanics Leave Arizona After Immigration Law Debated,” msnbc.com, Nov 11, 2010. Read the article >>
• Ronald D. Lee, “Economic and Fiscal Impact of Immigration,” Testimony for Panel on the Demographic and Economic Impacts of Immigration, before the Senate Immigration Subcommittee, September 9, 1997.
• Marshall Fitz, and Angela Kelley, “Stop the Conference: The Economic and Fiscal Consequences of Conference Cancellations Due to Arizona’s S.B. 1070,” Center for American Progress, November 2010. Read the article >>
• Huyen Pham, and Pham Hoang, “The Economic Impact of Local Immigration Regulation: An Empirical Analysis.” Cordoza Law Review, 32 no. 2 (2010): 485-518.
• Economic Impact Group, L.L.C., “A Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) Analysis of the Impact of the Oklahoma Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act of 2007,” Edmond, OK: Economic Impact Group, L.L.C., March 24, 2008.
• Kari Lydersen, “Arizona Bills Drives Immigrant Workers—and Anti-Immigrant Agendas—to Oklahoma,” In These Times Magazine, March 7, 2011. Read the article >>
• National Immigration Forum, “Deficits, Lawsuits, Diminished Public safety: Your State Can’t Afford SB 1070,” December 30, 2010. Read the article >>
• Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, “Undocumented Immigrants in Texas: A Financial Analysis of the Impact to the State Budget and Economy,” December 2006. Read the article >>
Statements by Local Law Enforcement Leaders
• “Statement by Texas Law Enforcement Executive on State-Based Immigration Policy,” ReformImmigrationforTexas.org, May 2, 2011. Read the article >>
• Hugh Holub, “Statement of Tucson Police Chief in support of suit against S.B. 1070,” TusconCitizen.com, July 6, 2010. Read the article >>
• “Mpls, St. Paul police chiefs rip proposed immigration bill,” Star Tribune, May 7, 2010. Read the article >>
• Chris Burbank, Salt Lake City Police Chief, “New immigration law sets dangerous precedent,” Salt Lake Tribune, July 3, 2009. Read the article >>
• Dennis Wagner, “Police chiefs press for immigration reform,” The Arizona Republic and USA Today, July 23, 2009. Read the article >>
• Police Executive Research Forum, “Critical Issues in Policing Series: Police Chiefs and Sheriffs Speak Out On Local Immigration Enforcement,” April 2008. Read the article >> Metropolitan Police Department, District of Columbia, “MPD Policy on Immigration Enforcement,” April 20, 2007. Read the article >>
• Major Cities Chiefs Association Press Release on Immigration, June 2006.
• M.C.C. Immigration Committee Recommendations for Enforcement of Immigration Laws by Local Police Agencies, June 7, 2006. Read the article >>
Criminal Alien Program (Texas)
• Andrea Guttin, “The Criminal Alien Program, Immigration Enforcement in Travis County, Texas,” Immigration Policy Center, February 2010. Read the article >>
• Trevor Gardner II and Aarti Kohli, “The C.A.P. Effect: Racial Profiling in the ICE Criminal Alien Program,” The Chief Justice Earl Warren Institute on Race, Ethnicity and Diversity, University of California, Berkeley Law School, September 2009. Read the article >>
Immigrant Crime Rates
• Daniel Griswold, “Higher Immigration, Lower Crime,” Center for Trade Policy Studies at the Cato Institute, December 2009. Read the article »
• Ron Unz, “His-Panic: Talk TV Sensationalists and Axe-Grinding Ideologues Have Fallen for a Myth of Immigrant Lawlessness.” The American Conservative, 9, no. 3 (2010), 22-31
• Rubén G. Rumbaut, and Walter A. Ewing, “The Myth of Immigrant Criminality,” Border battles: The U.S. immigration debate [online essays], Social Science Research Council (2007). Read the article »
• Radley Balker, “The El Paso Miracle: How Can a Comparatively Poor, High-Immigration Town that Sits Across the Border from Super-Violent Cuidad Juarez Be One of the Safest Big Cities in America?” Reason Magazine, July 6, 2009 Read the article »
• Pew Hispanic Center, “A Portrait of Unauthorized Immigrants in the U.S.,” April 14, 2009 Read the article »
• Matthew Hall, Audrey Singer, Gordon R. De Jong and Deborah Roempke Graefe, “The Geography of Immigrant Skills: Educational Profiles of Metropolitan Areas,” The Brookings Institute, June 20, 2011 Read the article »
• 2010 Census Briefs “The Hispanic Population: 2010, May 2011 Read the article »